People are always asking me how they can save money on home purchases and sales, and legislation under California Propositions 60 and 90 is one of the best ways to do just that. BUT, you have to meet certain qualifications.
Proposition 60 and 90 help home sellers transfer their current residential tax base to the purchase of a new home, saving potentially thousands of dollars in taxes. Proposition 60 is for intra-county transfers (between the counties of San Diego, Orange Los Angeles, Riverside, Alameda, El Dorado, San Bernardino, Santa Clara, San Mateo, Tuolumne and Ventura. Proposition 90 allows for the same advantage with inter-county transfers.
This all sounds great, right? Here is the fine print…in order to qualify:
1. The home owner (only one of them) must be at least 55 years of age. Co-owners cannot both qualify.
2. The home being sold must be a principal residence
3. The present home must be sold and the new home must be equal or lesser market value to the original property
4. If the property is held in a trust the seller will need to be the beneficial owner of the trust, not merely the trustee
5. The replacement property must be purchased or built within 2 years (before or after) of the sale of the current property.
6. “Your original property must have been eligible for the homeowners’ or disabled veterans’ exemption either at the time it was sold or within two years of the purchase or construction of the replacement property.”
As an example let’s say you purchased your home many years ago for $400,000 and it’s current market value is $800,000. If you sell this home and purchase a home that is $800,000 or less, should you qualify under Proposition 60 or 90 you will be able to take your current tax basis (tax on the $400,000 home plus the increases that have accrued over the years) to a replacement home that is purchased for $800,000 or less. This is a huge savings because most counties tax about 1-1.25% on real estate purchases.
For more details on eligibility requirements to take advantage of Prop 60 or 90, click here.