Archive for the ‘North San Diego real estate’ Category
Friday, August 18th, 2017
The real estate market is going CRAZY…well, at least in my local area. After over a year of increased prices and low inventory, multiple offers and crazy shenanigans so that people can get into homes, there are some strange things going on all of a sudden – since the start of August.
Here is what I am seeing in the San Diego market:
Longer market times – Many homes are taking longer to sell compared to those that sold just within the last few months. Even neighborhoods where homes were literally receiving multiple offers on the first day on market are sitting now. Many eventually reduce and on the average I am seeing some homes take around 60 days just to go into escrow.
No more multiple offers in most cases – You would think that the continued lack of inventory would make multiple offers a common occurrence still, but many homes are sitting on the market and reducing prices before they finally go into contract.
Lots of price reductions – I am seeing this all across the board – from condos to single family homes to 2-4 unit income properties. Sellers continue to hit the market with high prices – at comparative sales value or higher – only to have to reduce after 30 days or so due to lack of offers.
Buyers are making low offers – This is for real folks, so if you are a seller be prepared! It is happening all over. I think buyers are tired of rising prices and competition for homes, and they are starting to feel that if a seller won’t take a lower offer, they won’t buy. This is also true with short sales, even though banks no longer accept crazy low offers like they once did years ago.
Escrows are cancelling – I have seen this first hand with my own listings and I have heard from other agents as well – buyers are cancelling escrows at what seems to be a higher rate than we have seen in a long time.
I have reached out to other agents and escrow officers and it seems I am not the only one who feels the market is in such an interesting place. Many agents feel that August has always been a slow month for real estate sales – the end of summer with last vacations prior to kids returning to school, visitors leaving the city, etc. (here in San Diego we have a LOT of summer visitors!)
But there are some who think that this change is indicative of what is to come. Many buyers who were unable to purchase homes due to lack of inventory and multiple offer situations, have decided to rent and wait until the market drops or until there is more inventory available (which really goes hand in hand with prices dropping or at least stabilizing).
I will reiterate my belief, as stated in many blogs, that I do not think we will have a bubble burst or a housing crisis in the near future, but I do think tides are changing. A buyer’s market is starting to blossom and at some point it will flourish. If inventory picks up it will only fuel the change.
Saturday, June 10th, 2017
Upgraded and bright Santa Fe Ridge home located in South Carlsbad with award-winning Encinitas schools. 3 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, 1953 square feet.Â
Features include private landscaped courtyard entry, upgraded kitchen and bathrooms, recessed lighting and vaulted ceilings, custom paint throughout, ceiling fans, dual pane windows and sliders, plantation shutters, tile flooring downstairs, new carpet upstairs.
Beautifully landscaped and well maintained spacious, private backyard with inviting patio and grass areas. Furnace and AC installed in 2015, new hot water heater. Located close to everything – shopping, dining, entertainment, schools and highways…and of course, the beach!
For more information and to view more photos please click here.
Open Sunday 6/11 from 1-4 PM.
Call Nicole to schedule a showing at 760-580-7992
Monday, January 2nd, 2017
San Diego is definitely a desirable place to live, and as one of the most visited places in the United States it’s no wonder why – we have the best weather, beautifulÂ beaches, great food and nightlife, culture, incredible places to walk and hike, and so much more. There is nowhere else I’d rather live!
As we head into the new year here are some of the happening stories highlighting San Diego and the local real estate market.
San Diego Ranked 5th “Hottest” Real Estate Market in U.S. – Realtor.com ranked San Diego as the 5th “hottest” real estate market in the country. This is great news for the local market. The story pointed out that demand has especially grown since the election, likely due to increasing mortgage interest rates, and that the low supply levels heading into the new year will keep prices high – great news for sellers. Median sales time is 53 days in San Diego county, compared to 88 days nationwide.
San Diego Remains Top Destination for Foreign Buyers – We still rank as one of the top places for foreign buyers, especially those from China and Canada. San Diego is up there with Los Angeles, Orange County and San Francisco as the top places to purchase property in California. Speculation that this trend will continue in 2017 as many feel the US economy and the dollar will strengthen.
San Diego Home Sales Could be Protected by State Supreme Court Ruling – I have blogged about “dual agency” many times, and my position has always been that real estate agents should not be able to represent both the buyer and seller in a real estate transaction. The reason for this is that I feel it is virtually impossible to exercise a fiduciary duty to both parties – it can create too many conflicts of interest. The California Supreme Court seems to be coming closer to agreeing with this sentiment.
In November the court ruled that “a listing broker has a fiduciary responsibility to the buyer and the seller when his brokerage firm is representing both, setting a significant precedent for obtaining and sharing information in residential and commercial transactions.” While there are currently disclosures required which allow such situations, this ruling could be paving the way to no longer discontinuing them in the future…stay tuned for more.
If you need any information about property in the San Diego county area please feel free to contact me. Happy New Year!
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2016
Welcome to 7205 Mimosa Drive in Carlsbad, offered at $839,000.
If you never thought you could fall in love with a home, wait until you see this one. This spectacularly upgraded home is where memories will be made, friends and families will gather, and long lazy days will be spent in the impeccably landscaped pool-sized backyard with ocean breezes and peek views of the stunning Batiquitos Lagoon. Lovingly updated with top of the line materials, gorgeous kitchen and fabulous loft with view balcony.
Enjoy distressed wood plank flooring, custom paint, new windows and doors, incredible chef kitchen with granite counters, custom cabinetry and stainless appliances. Updated bathrooms with extended Italian porcelain shower in the master bath, upgraded fixtures throughout, crown molding in bedrooms, cedar plank master closet, enormous rectangular yard with room for large pool, raised patio, putting green, vegetable garden and lagoon views from deck. RV parking, storage shed and large patio off the kitchen for entertaining. Huge bright and open loft upstairs with ocean and lagoon peek from electronic Sunsetter covered balcony, room off of loft â€“ playroom, office, den, or add closet for another bedroom. Newer roof, garage storage and workbench, ceiling fans, and whole house wiring. Adjacent to Batiquitos Lagoon trails, and short stroll to shopping, dining, grocery store, library, movies and more. Carlsbad schools â€“ blocks to Aviara Oaks Elementary and Aviara Middle School. Great neighborhood with NO HOAs or mello roos. Moment to beachesâ€¦come live the Carlsbad lifestyle.
– 3 bedrooms plus 1 optional, 2 baths, 1653 square feet
– Distressed wide plank wood flooring
– New windows and doors throughout
– Gorgeous kitchen with granite, stainless appliances, custom cabinetry, raised ceiling,
movable island counter, added window and updated fixtures
– Crown molding in bedrooms, plantation shutters
– Lovely master suite with French doors to the yard, cedar plank built-in closet
– Italian porcelain extended shower in master bathroom
– Upgraded fixtures and custom paint throughout
– Pool-sized yard: raised deck with lagoon views, putting green, vegetable garden,
storage shed and large patio off kitchen
– RV parking
– Big, bright, open loft upstairs with ocean peek view balcony, Sunsetter electronic shade
and recently redone deck
– Room off loft â€“ office, playroom, den, or add closet for another bedroom
– Newer roof (8 years old)
– Garage laundry area, storage and workbench
– No HOA or mello roos
– Adjacent to Batiquitos Lagoon and trails
– Carlsbad schools â€“ Aviara Oaks Elementary and Middle Schools are blocks away
– Stroll to shopping, dining, movies, coffee, grocery store, library and more
– Moments to beaches, transportation and everything Carlsbad has to offer
For more information and photos click here. Call Broker Rachel LaMar with questions or to schedule a showing at 760-310-9466. MLS# 160042727. OPEN SUNDAY, 8/7 1-4:00 PM
Thursday, July 21st, 2016
LaMar Real Estate is proud to welcome you to 1612 Avery Road, San Marcos. Offered at $489,000.
This beautifully upgraded, bright and open tri-level end unit townhome offers the largest floorplan in the complex, with great amenities and location. Features include a full bedroom and bathroom on the top floor, spacious kitchen with Corian counters and breakfast nook, custom paint throughout, designer tile flooring and carpeting, AC and attached 2 car garage. Gated front courtyard, mature trees and a wonderful community with pool and spa – located in the desirable Morgans Corner complex in the San Elijo Hills town center. Stroll to shopping, dining, parks and schools.
– 3 bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms, 1740 square feet
– Bright and open floorplan
– Spacious kitchen with Corian counters, black appliances and breakfast nook
– Built-in tv/storage unit in living room
– Tile flooring and upgraded carpeting
– Attached 2 car garage
– Laundry room on second floor
– Gated front courtyard
– Refrigerator, washer and dryer included
– Category 5 wiring
– Air conditioning
– Ceiling fans
– Community pool and spa
– Award-winning San Marcos Elementary and Middle Schools blocks away
– Walkable community â€“ shopping, dining, schools, groceries, parks, trails
– Thousands of acres of trails and open space
– Community parks, sports fields and dog park
For more information and photos, and to view a virtual tour, please click here. To schedule a showing or for questions, please call Broker Rachel LaMar at 760-310-9466. CA BRE lic# 01399682.
Open Sunday, July 24, 2016 from 1:00-4:00.
Friday, June 17th, 2016
There seem to be a a slurry of lockbox break-ins and subsequent home break-ins or attempts lately in the San Diego County area, so if you have a home for sale or are a listing agent, please read on so you can be informed and safe.
Several agents – including myself – have reported lockbox break-ins or attempted break-ins within the last few months. One agent group to which I belong had multiple agents telling stories of lockbox thefts, with subsequent break-ins or attempts. It seems there is a pattern: the thieves come in the middle of the night and use power tools to break the lockbox off doors or pipes. They then take it and return with the key the following day to attempt home robbery.
One agent reported that her seller noticed in the morning as he was leaving for work that that lockbox had been cut. He stayed home and had a locksmith come immediately to change the locks – the thief/thieves returned later that day and attempted to access the home, but luckily were unable to do so – they decided not to use another lockbox.
Another agent said her lockbox had been cut and the thieves returned and stole an oven from the home.
Last month my sellers heard someone tampering with their lockbox between 2-3 AM (Mrs. Seller happened to be up nursing the baby); when Mr. Seller ran to the door and opened it the thief jumped in his waiting car and sped away. We removed the lockbox.
I spoke with the Carlsbad Police Department and they have not had any reports of this from agents or homeowners. I encouraged my clients to report their incident when it happened, but they did not get a description of the man, nor could they tell the make or model of the vehicle or license plate number – it all happened so fast – so they did not report it. The police department recommended not using lockboxes.
After reading the other agent stories a few days ago I removed a lockbox from a listing of mine and made showings by appointment only. Obviously this is an inconvenience for buyer agents, because they and I have to find mutually available times to meet, but it is better that my sellers are protected.
Keep in mind that real estate lockboxes are very well-made and are supposed to be break-in proof, according to the local Realtor association, but with battery operated power tools it is obvious that this is not the case. Never use contractor lockboxes, as these are much more flimsy and easier to break open. Either way, if you are a listing agent or seller you may want to consider this information and decide how to proceed.
If you are an agent please let me know if you have a similar story to share – and please report it to your local police department. This effects our business and our clients…hopefully there will be a way to stop it from happening that will not inconvenience home sellers and agents.
Thursday, June 9th, 2016
Welcome to 1628 New Crest Court in Carlsbad, Offered at $1,479,000.
Pure luxury abounds in this exquisite new construction Carlsbad home, situated on the end of a cul de sac with gorgeous easterly sunrise, canyon and mountain views, and only minutes to the beach. This stunning home has it all, with impeccable attention to detail â€“ hardwood flooring, plantation shutters, stainless top of the line appliances, silk granite and quartz counters, French doors, complete landscaping, and much more, on an 8800+ square foot view lot that is adjacent to open space.
– 5 Bedrooms (one downstairs), 4.5 baths, 4234 square feet
– 8816 square foot private lot
– End of cul-de-sac view lot â€“ canyon and mountain easterly views
– Open floorplan with 9-10 foot high ceilings throughout
– Hardwood flooring downstairs and designer carpeting upstairs
– Enormous kitchen with oversized satin finished granite island
– Quartz kitchen counters and custom full-height tiled backsplash
– Satin white cabinetry with soft close in kitchen
– Stainless Dacor (Bosch-quality) appliances, including 3 ovens and 6-burner stove
– Butler pantry, large walk-in storage pantry and breakfast nook
– Spacious family room with fireplace and folding doors to bring the outdoors inside
– Master & powder bath Marble countertops with tile and wood floors
– Cultured marble and tile backsplash in laundry room, and all other baths
– Outdoor covered loggia
– Upgraded fixtures and lighting
– Downstairs bedroom and bathroom with French doors
– Recessed lighting in all rooms
– Instant water heating in Kitchen and Master bathroom
– Rannai tankless water heaters
– Plantation shutters and vertical blinds
– Heat & Glo Fireplace
– Goodman A/C
– Lift master garage door openers
– Rainbird sprinkler system with auto humidity control
– Master bedroom balcony and Juliet balcony in front
– Mission Drywall Texture
– Front courtyard
– Fully landscaped and hardscaped
– Carlsbad Unified School District
– Close to shopping, dining, parks, beaches and highways
For more information and photos please click here. Or call agent Rachel LaMar for a private showing at 760-310-9466.
Friday, September 6th, 2013
Enjoy ocean views and peeks, sea breezes and stunning sunsets from this fabulous turn-key single story TerramarÂ beach home, located just across the street from the sand and your private beach entrance. With a full remodel just completed and over $100,000 in upgrades, this home is move-in ready.
Everything has been redone: wood and tile flooring, granite counters, stainless appliances, custom paint inside and out, landscaping in the large, private backyard (new sod, sprinkler system, plants), dual pane windows, fixtures and hardware, epoxy garage floorsâ€¦and more! Detached 2 car garage and plenty of parking. This 2 bedroom, 2 bath home includes bonus room and laundry room, & offers plenty of living space. Stroll/ride into the Village to dine, shop or catch the Coaster.
Terramar is Carlsbadâ€™s premier beach neighborhood, comprised of beach cottages and multi-million dollar homes, and offering casual beach living on one of the only private beaches in San Diego. Want an even bigger view? Add on a second story or roof top deck for a panoramic ocean view.
â€¢Â 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1085 square feet
â€¢Â Large bonus room/optional 3rd bedroom
â€¢Â Ocean views
â€¢Â New wood and custom tile flooring
â€¢Â Granite counters in kitchen with glass tile backsplash
â€¢Â New stainless appliances, including refrigerator
â€¢Â Fully remodeled bathrooms – everything is new/upgraded
â€¢Â Indoor laundry room â€“ washer and dryer included
â€¢Â New fixtures, hardware, sinks throughout
â€¢Â New paint â€“ interior and exterior
â€¢Â Large private, freshly landscaped backyard with lots of room
â€¢Â 2 Car detached garage with expoxy flooring
â€¢Â New dual pane windows throughout
â€¢Â Owners have access to private gated Terramar Beach, just across the street
â€¢Â Carlsbad Village and boardwalk are just blocks away â€“ dining, shopping, entertainment
â€¢Â Close to Coaster station, transportation and highways
â€¢Â Stunning sunsets
â€¢Â Potential for additions, with panoramic ocean view from a second story
â€¢Â Great primary or secondary home, or fantastic investment, with vacation rental income potential.
List price: $998,000. MLS #130047732 . Click here for virtual tour. Please call agent Rachel LaMar for more details at 760-310-9466.
Monday, January 28th, 2013
If you’ve been to San Diego you know what a wonderful place it truly is, and how much it has to offer. Both full-time residents and part-timers love to live here, and it continues to be one of the top vacation destinations in the country. San Diego is also on the top ten list for international buyers. If you haven’t been to San Diego and wonder what makes it so special, and a great place to invest in property…here are my top 4 reasons:
1. Appreciation Factor. The San Diego real estate market is a special one. Sure, it has ups and downs like any market, but the location and weather make it a desirable place to own property year-round. The proximity to the coast will always be a strong factor. If you plan to hold onto the property over time you will find your investment is sound, and you will profit. This is prime coastal Southern California real estate territory.
2.Â Rentability. If you are planning on renting out your property you are in luck. Rents have risen over the last few years, inventory is scarce, and San Diego rental property is always in high demand. If you purchase property along the coast you may be able to rent out your property as a vacation rental, which can be a strong source of income. High end rental properties can even be a sole source of income in some situations. In the last several years I have seen rental properties rent very quickly, with multiple applications.
3.Â The Weather! Nowhere else has weather like San Diego. With an average year-round temperature of 72, San Diego is the quintessential vacation destination. Many “snowbirds” come to San Diego in the winter to escape the cold elsewhere, and those living in places that get a tad too warm in the summer, like Arizona and Nevada, love to call San Diego home during summer months.
4. So Much to Offer. San Diego has the best of everything: theater, music, dining, museums, culture, parks, sports and sports venues, shopping, and beaches. There is something for everyone in San Diego, and it will continue to be a vacation destination. In a word, it is paradise…wouldn’t you love to have a home in paradise?
No matter who you are or how you like to relax and play, you will find it in San Diego. If you are looking for investment property this is a great place, whether your goal is to have a home to escape to, or one that will be a source of income. If you have questions about investment property in San Diego County, please feel free to contact me. There are properties and locations for so many types of investments, and I will be happy to assist you in finding the right one.
Monday, October 8th, 2012
Many real estate agents, mortgage professionals and economists have been saying it: “now is a great time to buy.” In fact, those cries have been echoed for the last year or so. Interestingly, there ARE many ready buyers out there, but inventory is so low and it is very difficult to be the lucky one whose offer is chosen, as many homes that are listed on the market obtain multiple offers, often in the first day or two.
So what makes now such a great time to buy real estate? There are 3 main reasons:
1.Â (Still) historically low interest rates. The interest rates are still at unprecedented lows. Part of this reason is because there is little inventory in most markets. As prices climb, inventory will rise (because sellers will see a good reason to finally sell again) and in turn interest rates will likely rise. It’s a Catch-22, but if you want the best rates, the end of a long downturn is a great time to take advantage.
2.Â Prices are rising in many markets. Many buyers have been waiting, some for a long time, until the market “bottomed out.” Well folks, we have reached that point and are now on the upswing. Prices in north county have risen, homes are receiving multiple offers, and the condo market is officially a seller’s market. Single family homes are soon to reach that level as well. If you are a buyer who has been “on the fence,” now is definitely the time to climb off and start looking, lest you find yourself facing higher prices and more competition as we head toward the Spring/Summer selling season.
3. Distressed inventory is down. Foreclosures have slackened off since the start of the summer, mostly in part to lenders embracing short sales and other programs, like loan modifications or sales to third party investors that help people stay in their homes. With less distressed inventory prices can continue to rise at a steady, “normal” pace. Note that even if you live in an area where there are still a lot of short sales, the jump in averages prices in those neighborhoods will cause lenders who hold paper on the distressed properties to seek prices that are more in line with the comparable sold properties, and since many lenders are trying to close short sales quicker and are being stricter with prices they will accept, it is likely such sales will not have a substantial effect on comparable properties.
4.Â Rents continue to rise and rentals are harder to find – great for investors, not so great for those seeking to rent. Rents have risen over the past year and are at a 10 year high, according to research reported in the Wall Street Journal. One study by Trulia even found that it is cheaper to own rather than rent in many markets. Not to mention the rental market is so hot, that it requires much luck to even find a rental and be chosen as a renter, since there is so much competition. I have had renters call on all my listings over the past year, asking if the sellers were willing to rent instead of sell – people are desperate. One of my investors just leased out a newly purchased property – the same floorplan I sold last year to a different investor – and he was able to obtain a monthly rent almost $100 higher per month than the first investor.
5. Low inventory. Low inventory in most markets means much greater competition amongst buyers. How, you say, is this a reason to buy now? Well, since competition is so high and prices are rising, if you are lucky to be the chosen buyer on a property you will likely end up paying less than when there is more inventory. There is only less than a three month supply of inventory on the market now in San Diego. If the many buyers out there looking cannot find a home to purchase now, and hold off until there is more inventory (usually after the holidays), there will also be more competition, as you will also get the buyers at that time of year who want to make a move after school gets out for the summer. Also, you will likely get a lower interest rate if you buy now rather than down the road, as many economists predict interest rate increases as inventory rises.
Do you need a few more reasons? How about this: housing statistics have been and continue to be on the rise. Building statistics are up in many areas, and many markets are becoming seller’s markets. So remember that “now is truly a great time to buy” may sound like an old cliche, but truly makes sense right now. If you are serious about buying now, make sure you understand the importance of writing a strong offer – click here for some great tips. Happy house hunting!